Friday, August 5, 2011

Hermits

After searching all my New England cookbooks, I found this in a 20-year old Ogunquit Women's Club book. If this isn't authentic, I don't know what is. I'm going to try it and will post an update when I do.

2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups less 2 rounded tablespoons sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
(or substitute 1/2 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger)
1 cup raisins

Beat eggs. Add oil, molasses and sugar; beat well. Sift flour with soda, salt and spices. Gradually stir into molasses mixture. Stir in raisins. Spread this stiff batter onto a greased 17 x 11 baking pan with 1/2" rim. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into squares while warm. Makes about 3 dozen.

No comments: