Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cape Breton "Pork Pies" (Date Tarts)

This is something I remember my mother making when I was very young. They usually meant company was coming. I've made them a few times, and they're really good and rich.

1 Cup butter
4 Tablespoons icing sugar
2 Cups white flour
Pinch of nutmeg
Mix well and press into tiny muffin tins.
Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Cool and remove from tins.

On the stovetop cook the following until smooth:

2 Cups chopped dates
1 1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup water
1 Teaspoon lemon juice
1 Teaspoon white vinegar

Add a spoonful of the date mixture onto each shell. Make a buttercream icing to top them with and flavor it with maple extract (or I might try black walnut)and top with half a walnut.

Recipe courtesy www.nataliemacmaster.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Mother made this special treat as well,thank you for sharing your recipe. EXELLENT