Friday, February 27, 2009

Betty's Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb Ground Beef
1 lb Italian Hot Sausage
1 lb Italian Sweet Sausage
1 Green Pepper
2 Medium Onions
1/4 - 1/3 Cup Oregano
1 Cl (3 or 4) Garlic
1 tsp-1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
Red Pepper (couple of shakes)


Cook meat until browned. Remove from pan, drain off most of the fat. In the remaining fat, saute chopped pepper, onion and garlic until softened. Add meat back into the pot, add remaining ingredients and cook briefly to combine ingredients. Continue as below.

Add:
1 lg tomato (cut up and drained)
2 14oz cans tomato sauce
2 6oz cans tomato paste
2 - 4 oz sliced mushrooms (drained)
Wine ( 1/4 cup or less)

Simmer 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.

I remember this from childhood as being the BEST spaghetti sauce ever. I hope I still like it.

EDIT: Oh, yes. It's still amazing. I think I used more wine than stated. And Betty's recipe called for 1/2 stick butter, I assume to saute the onion/pepper in- I just used fat from the meats. This is a perfect sauce for freezing.

No comments: